Nowadays, the Internet has become a very important tool. It has become a source of information as well as a means to document important events and communicate with your peers. This development has made the ability to write well so much more important now than it ever was in the past. Writing has now become a career for many people all over the world. If you’re interested in writing for a living, then you’d certainly do well to note the following tips on how to write well:
- Observe. The people you interact with and the things you see around you are excellent sources of ideas and inspiration. By closely observing everything that’s going on in your surroundings, you should find it easy enough to come up with a theme or topic for your next article, blog entry, novel, or whatever it is you plan to write.
- Grammar. It goes without saying that you should learn proper grammar before you even put pen on paper. Other than learning how to use proper grammar, though, you should also learn how you can possibly break the rules of grammar in an effective manner. Learning how to manipulate the rules is what sets excellent writers apart.
- Write. Stop planning to write and finding reasons not to. Just sit down and start writing. It doesn’t matter if you don’t feel like writing at the time; just do it. You can’t wait for your writing groove forever. You have to encourage the groove to come by actually getting down to writing. You can only develop your own writing style by writing, not by dreaming of becoming a writer.
- Read the works of popular writers so you’ll know what people like in terms of theme, pacing, language, and tone. You may also want to read the works of multi-awarded writers so you’ll know what critics like.
- Routine. Set up a special writing space at home and establish a schedule for your writing projects. Be sure to write only at that special place and follow your writing schedule strictly every single day. Don’t let anything disrupt your schedule unless it’s really a matter of grave importance. In time, this schedule will come naturally to you and you’ll learn to adjust your other tasks accordingly.
- Be brave. Don’t be afraid to write poorly in the beginning. Bear in mind that a bad beginning isn’t necessarily something you have to live with for the rest of your life. You can build on that and strive to improve. Even if you have been writing for some time, there will still be bad days. You can’t let those days paralyze you. Forgive yourself for a poor performance and then strive to write better next time.
Remember that writing isn’t a skill you can allow to stagnate. You need to constantly work on improving your craft. Find writing exercises you can use for this purpose and try to work on projects that allow you to explore different writing techniques and genres. More importantly, try to write every single day to keep your mind sharp and your writing skills fresh. Finally, whether writing is a hobby or a career, you need to start out by claiming it for yourself – believe that you ARE a writer.